If you're planning on putting your home on the market this Spring, it goes without saying that if you're hoping for a successful sale you need to set the stage to set your home apart from the competition. Also, adding value to your listing.
Here's some tips to get you started:
1) Boost Curb Appeal: the outside of the house is the first impression people get. Sometimes potential buyers will only do a drive by before they decide to enter. So, wash your siding, clean windows, mow the lawn, and repaint peeling paint.
2) Clean: every surface should sparkle, from floors, to windows, counter tops, and tiles. Don't dismiss the importance of presenting a home that has been cared for well by it's owners.
3) Clear Away Clutter: this may not be easy, so if you can't get rid of enough possessions you may want to rent a space to store them temporarily. Clear collectibles, personal effects, toys, etc. Less is more, and it allows buyers to see the home and not your things. That being said, you don't want it it to appear vacant either, so you need to strike a balance between clean and lived-in.
4) Style Your Dining Room: this is something not everyone thinks about, but a bare dining table can look uninviting, so style it with a small centerpiece.
5) Rearrange Your Furniture: think symmetrical. You want an even use of space, and pair items if possible.
6) Choose Neutral: a splash of colour here and there is fine, but you want to stick to sophisticated neutral tones as much as possible. They look cleaner and add value to your home.
7) Don't Forget Your Closets: this is often missed, but you can bet that your buyers will open them up. Aim to have 30 percent open space to give the impression of spaciousness.
8) Use Extra Space: if you have rooms currently not being used, or just collecting extra items, it's time to convert these back to a defined purpose. Office, guestroom, kids room, etc.
9) Bathrooms: the bathrooms are so very important for potential buyers. Make sure they are clean, tub/shower is scrubbed, that towels are clean and matching. To maximize space you may want to consider swapping your huge cabinet sink for a pedestal version.
10) Beware of Odors: pet and smoke is the worst and will automatically give a negative impression, but also don't overdo the scented candles and sprays. Those can be overpowering as well. You want to aim for the fresh, just cleaned smell.
If you have any questions. Please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to assistance.